For more than 1000 years a building has stood on this spot. Local people from the community of Wath have come here to celebrate – to seek help – to give support – to pray – to worship God. Some have come week by week – others have come on special occasions – times of joy and sorrow – to give thanks or to find comfort.
Over the years the building has changed and grown, been altered and adapted. Saxons and Normans, Tudors and Elizabethans, Victorians and even the people of today have left their mark on it.
Heritage & Tourism Group
The Heritage Group came into existence in 2006 thanks to an organization that formed the Rotherham Churches Tourism Initiative. This was an organization that was supported, financially, by the Heritage Lottery Fund. They provided training in ‘Welcoming’ and ‘First Aid’ so as to be able to welcome visitors to the churches within the area and to ensure their safety. It was an attempt to try to gradually increase the attendances at church services, and also to invite people to become interested in the history of the churches within the boundaries of Rotherham. To this end there was the opportunity to apply for a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, to help set up these members and the equipment that they needed.
When the Lottery first started, it followed the example of almost every other fund provider in the country it insisted in that it would not support any religious applications The Lottery decided to help create the Heritage Lottery Fund as this would provide some finance, if only through the back door, to support in some way the religious organizations and at the same time to assist the historical buildings in and around the country.
In September 2006 We adopted the constitution For Wath All Saints’ Heritage and Tourism Group. Our first involvement was to take part in the Heritage Open Day 2006 and All Saints’ was open for visitors. Sadly, the Rotherham Churches Tourism Initiative closed down and became Heritage Inspired, which took over the work and they became the people who tried to guide all the members along their ways.
Heritage Inspired is no longer with us due to the funding failing, but we remember them each year.
We have since then continued to do our ‘thing’ each year at September time and hopefully, we will continue to do so with the help of any newcomers who would like to become involved, they will be greatly welcomed.
A Grade I listed building
The date of the Saxon church is unknown. Wath appears in the Domesday Book of 1086.
The Norman north aisle was added to the Saxon church in 1145-50, the Norman tower and arch added in 1175. The Apsidal (round) east end replaced by a square east end in 1230. The Lady Chapel was enlarged in 1290-95. In 1305-20 the Early English south aisle and chancel arch were added. In 1360 the outside wall of the north aisle was rebuilt – porch and clerestory added – Priest’s chamber or vestry added and a door from chancel to the vestry. 1350-96 saw the top story of the tower and a short spire added. The first clock installed in the tower and the spire replaced by the present one took place in 1714. There was a major restoration in 1868 and organ chamber added. Following the fire of 1917 restoration followed in 1920 – organ chamber and choir vestry were enlarged and a clergy vestry added. 1975 saw the restoration of the tower.
In 1976 a major restoration and roof bosses painted. 1990-91 saw the restoration of the Lady Chapel roof and eroded stonework. Restoration of the Baptistry was carried out in 1998.
Projects for the Millennium saw a wooden cross with ironwork placed on the wall over the tower, the area behind the altar decorated and enhanced with wooden boards displaying the 10 Commandments, The Creed and the Lord’s Prayer and a Sundial which had been removed in the 1970s due to stone erosion was replaced using the original gnomon.
We only keep current registers in Church. If you would like to find out details from old registers then you will need to contact Doncaster Archives.